Gili Trawangan's immaculately white sands, blue waters teeming with turtles, coral gardens, and lush palm trees that line the coast will leave you wanting more out of your vacation. Famous for the crystal clear water and sea turtles, snorkelling in Gili Trawangan is a must-do activity for every tourist. Almost every shop along the coast offers you snorkelling equipment that you can hire to experience the serene marine life.
Here are the top 3 spots for snorkelling when in Gili Trawangan -
1. Halik, North of the Gili Trawangan Islands
With a depth of about 4 to 7 meters, Halik, also famous as the Coral Fan Garden, is one of the best spots for snorkellers to spot beautiful marine life. Thanks to the current, you can easily cruise through this diving location, which covers the top corner of Gili Trawangan. This spot is suitable for beginners and seasoned snorkellers. Green turtles, gorgonian sea fans, giant barrel sponges, and Hawksbill can be spotted here.
2. Turtle Point, North-East of the Gili Trawangan Islands
Between Villa Almarik and Damina Restaurant is a large sandy beach with a laguna covered in seagrass and a coral reef in 3–4 meters of water before the reef drops off. You will spot sea turtles, sergeant majors, fusiliers, and surgeonfish here. However, keep a safe distance from the turtles feeding on the lagoon seagrass. Snorkelling here is relatively easy. However, ensure that you do stray too deep as the currents get stronger.
3. Bio Rocks, South-East of the Gili Trawangan Islands
The divers and snorkellers can enjoy the diverse marine life just off Gili Trawangan's main beaches thanks to the island's 63 Bio Rocks. You can spot damselfish, frogfish, and scorpionfish here, along with over 120 structures. Every dive shop on the island has its favourites, and the Bio Rocks top the list. So snorkelling in this spot is suitable for all levels of snorkellers.
Tips for Snorkelling in Gili Trawangan
- The best time to visit Gili Trawangan for snorkelling is between June to September, as the underwater visibility is best during this time.
- Wear reef-friendly sunscreen and a T-shirt to protect yourself from getting sunburned.
- Snorkelling in low tides can be challenging, so keep track of the tide charts to get the best snorkelling experience in high tides. The chances of spotting sea turtles also go up with increasing tides.
- The Gili Trawangan islands are full of corals, so ensure you wear your water shoes to protect your feet while snorkelling.
- If you are considering snorkelling in areas with strong currents, ensure you wear fins to stay safe and help you swim better.
- Consider joining a boat tour if you are looking to snorkel in deeper waters that aren’t easily accessible.
- While underwater, keep an eye out for boats and maintain a safe distance from them.
Here were our chosen spots to witness the island's diverse marine life, especially green sea turtles and various species of butterfly fish. Corals, green sea turtles, clownfish, baby sharks, whale sharks, reef sharks, and octopuses are some rare species you can look out for while snorkelling in Gili Trawangan.
The Gili Islands, especially Gili Trawangan, have consistently ranked among the top spots and are growing in popularity with tourists worldwide. Gili Trawangan is quickly becoming one of the world's most popular snorkelling destinations thanks to its booming tourism industry and the crazy nightlife and parties. So put on your snorkelling gear, apply sunscreen, and dive into Gili Trawangan’s top snorkelling locations!